Ana Starr is the owner of Mimis Curlz. Her company makes oils that contain vitamins to help hair growth for both hair and beards. She uses natural ingredients like ginger, avocado oil, rice bran oil and almond oil. Ana is a military wife, mother, and a mimi to 2 beautiful grandkids. (That is where her name business name came from!)
◦ What made you decide this career path? I decided to start my business making all natural oils after I almost lost all of my hair due to applying a hair straightener after bleaching my hair. I started mixing my own oils while still purchasing from other small businesses. I decided to step outside my comfort zone and go ahead and put my product out there. I am so happy I did. I love hearing from people telling me my oils saved there hair. Makes me smile every time. I am thankful for the position i am in to be able to stay home and do something that I love.
◦ Where have you lived and what has been your favorite base so far? Our first base was Mcguire Afb in New Jersey. I loved being there because we were close to the family and it is also my hometown.
◦ What is the biggest challenge of being a military spouse and pursuing your career? Sometimes I feel a little guilty when I get so busy and can’t give my all to my husband and family. Thankfully, I am Blessed to have help and an understanding husband.
◦ What are your other hobbies? My favorite hobby is dancing. I try to always make time for that. I also love taking Zumba classes.
◦ What are some benefits of being a military spouse as a business owner? I am blessed to be able to do it full time and from home. My business allows me to travel and help with my grandkids.
◦ If you could, what advice would you give yourself when you first started your business? Advice I would give myself is to leave my comfort zone and not be afraid of rejection.